Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Pre-Halloween Thanksgiving

Perhaps this isn't the most timely of posts (seeing as though it is just after Thanksgiving), but it is a funny story nonetheless. Teri's cousins invited us down to Sierra Vista just before Halloween for Thanksgiving dinner. After quickly perusing Wikipedia to confirm that F.D.R.'s fourth Thursday in November rule was still in effect, I began to ask, "Isn't it still October?"

It was. But actually Teri's aunt, uncle, and cousins were being very accomodating and were trying to have their big family get together (aka Thanksgiving dinner) at a time when Teri can still travel. Actually, at a time when Teri and Britney, our sister-in-law who is due the same day as Teri (Dec 21), could travel. Still, it is a little unsettling to be having all the Thanksgiving goods like turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pie, and Cheez Whiz before you've even gone trick-or-treating.

Thanksgiving weirdness aside, I enjoyed my first stop in Sierra Vista. I saw the Wheel of Progress, something that can only be described as the poor man's perpetual motion machine monument. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I wanted to get one, but at the time I pulled of the road to figure out what the heck the thing was, Teri was pretty hungry and wanted to get home and eat. (I know - let's get our priorities straight.)

I also went to the Sierra Vista mall. McKay had lots of fun romping on the plastic/foam rubber tree in the playground area. His frustration was while the tree had two "slides" (basically the foam rubber went down at a 45 degree angle) there weren't any stairs to get up. For the bigger kids it was a problem. But McKay could not get up there despite his toddler stregth. So I spent my time there heaving him around.

All in all it was pretty fun. Teri and I even started to get into the Thanksgiving mood when we stopped for gas. This gem in Sierra Vista isn't quite the pilgrims and the indians, but it's pretty close. Here's Teri and the pilgrim,


Tad and the Indian,


McKay and his nap.

3 comments:

The Llewellyn's said...

Do McKays pj's come in adult sizes?

Laurel said...

In this case being tagged means that you post 7 things (whatever you want) about yourself (interesting, funny, new, whatever) and then you tag seven other people (to keep it going) I am sure that you guys can come up with some good stuff.

Jeremy & Echelle Slade said...

Good to see that you are working on family history. I can see the resemblance between the pilgram & you all but the Indian is related how?