Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Singles be warned

"Are you a loser? Come to Chemistry.com where all of life's rejects come together to meet each other."

I don't mean to jump to conclusions here, but isn't that basically what the new Chemistry.com advertisements are just screaming at you? Take this one for example:




What was the point of that ad? Look I don't really care who eHarmony accepts or rejects. (Fortunately, I'm married to TeriDel who is wonderful. We no longer have to scope out the dating scene.) But if I were to turn back the clock a bit and date again, would I really want to sign up for a dating site whose ad campaign is "Are you the kind of person that has been rejected by members of the opposite sex AND a dating service? Come over to Chemistry.com. We'll take you're money."

Just as an aside, I have nothing against Internet dating. In fact, I think it can be a positive for a lot of people who don't have a lot of time or who find it easier to get to know people. I'm sure there are lots of other reasons to do it as well. I just think you have to be selective on who you Internet date - much like you should be selective of what you eat, what you wear, or even what music video you decide to appear in. Obviously these guys didn't heed my advice.



Anyway, if you are currently a member of Chemistry.com, don't fret. I'm sure there are lots of interesting, fun, and charming people on there. But I'd beware of the new sign ups - at least until you find out a little bit more about them and whether or not they watch advertisements.

1 comment:

MARK SMITH said...

They advertise in that way because eHarmony discriminates based on race, religion, and lifestyle. Eharmony chooses your matches based on a long and tedious questionnaire. Also, it is not unusual for an individual to sign up to eHarmony, pay the fee, and then not be matched up to anyone. There is a fully refundable trial period, but the cancellation procedure is a long and difficult argument. Other dating websites are more of a browse at your leisure format. Having grown up in Utah as a non-Mormon, it was difficult to meet good sincere people that didn't have religious prerequisites to dating. Online dating is not my preferred way of meeting people; but I am glad that a company like eHarmony has competitors.