Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Best of 2007

Like many people who write things down for other people to read, I feel compelled to offer a Best of 2007 list. But unlike other people's lists, I know from the start that the information I am presenting is totally worthless. Well, I take that back. My best things about 2007 are things that I found interesting, funny, or worth taking note of. Depending on what you think of me, it may or may not be worthless.

Best YouTube Video I Have Not Shared on my Blog in 2007
This one is easy. I've been saving this video for a long time knowing that its day would come. It's odd that it makes the cut here, but it's great.



This clip gets funnier every time you watch. Notice the "I'm awesome" grunt at the beginning and the fact that the first question someone asks is "Are you ok?" to which one of his posse members says, "No, he's not."

Best TV Show to Replace all the Shows Currently on Strike
I'm not a big fan of reruns, unless of course I haven't seen the original run in the first place. Such is the case with ESPN Classic's Cheap Seats, a sports version of Mystery Science Theater. (To see the complete hilarious Mystery Science version of the awful movie Time Chasers just look at the links on YouTube. The movie is divided into 10 parts.)

While I can only vouch for the Cheap Seats episodes that I have seen they are pretty funny. Some of you may remember the commercial for Tom Emanski's Defensive Drills. I wanted to link it here, but despite my diligent efforts I couldn't find it anywhere. As a funny ESPN commentary on the commercial explains, the 1991 commercial features Fred McGriff, a then young and talented baseball player wearing a ridiculous Baseball World hat, who promised that this particular drill video gets results. The commercial is still on TV today although if you watch late night ESPN you already know that.

Cheap Seats took a cheap shot at the commercial after their segment on the Thailand tradition of Elephant soccer. Apparently once a year their is an elephant festival in which one of the games is elephant soccer. Villages compete against each other as they ride elephants and try to get them to kick a giant soccer ball. (Dallas, if you know more please fill me in.) After showing ESPN's coverage of the 0 - 0 tie, Cheap Seats then showed this commercial - a parody of Tom Emanski's baseball drills ad. You have to love Johnny Damon, a career .288 hitter (in baseball), touting the awesome elephant soccer training techniques.



One downside though - I just found out that Cheap Seats actually ended in 2006. So set your Tivo for midnight on ESPN Classic, or whenever it airs, and at least enjoy the reruns. By the way, unlike most network commericial breaks where commercials last 3 minutes or more, Cheap Seats usually only has 2 minute commerical breaks. That's important if you use the 30-second fast forward like I do.

Best Catch Phrase
This one requires a preface. My father-in-law works for Thatcher High School and is one of the replacement bus drivers when a regular driver is out, sick, or otherwise indisposed. It is from this bus driver background that my father-in-law got his new motto.

"Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver."

This phrase narrowly beats out his other new catch phrase. "Never throw a kid out the window of the bus without first attaching a safety rope around their neck."

Best Hard Won Prize
As a frequent reader of the blog you are undoubtedly aware that Jared and I were leading in the Mesa City Winter Tennis League. To further update you, we won the league. Check out my hard won winnings!



I ended up giving my shirt to Teri for a couple reasons. 1) She used to attend Eastern Arizona College the home of the Fighting Gila Monster depicted on the shirt and 2) I don't like cap sleeves.

Recap
2007 was a great year. We saw McKay get bigger and funnier. We moved into our house. We had Gibson come into our family. We are very grateful and hope that 2008 brings even more fun - and less children than the previous 2 years.

1 comment:

The Llewellyn's said...

Looks great!! What a year it has been.